Tuesday 10 May 2011

Daisies

The Belle of the Ball really got into my heart yesterday - I was out preparing myself for an evenings Herbcraft Workshop on Daisy n Elder so I thought the best way to learn more was to go out into the fields and harvest. I found a delightful meadow covered in trillions of the little white pink n yellow, uplifted flower heads. Getting down on my knees I began to pick, first thing that hit me was the intense flora smell so distinct, drawing me in. As I heard the pop pop popping of the flower heads coming of the steams the sound brought a smile to my lips and I felt an exciting warmth in my core. She is pure JOY, innocences, childlike love. I began to sing and she spoke through my song - 

Put me in everything, 
right from the start, 
into the middle of it all, 
into the beatin heart

my message from her to put a drop into each n every potion I make for everyone.

She also spoke about finding the anger making it material and letting it go.

The daisy gets its name from ‘day’s eye’, opening when the sun rises and closing when the sun sets. Its common names reveal its association with innocence: baby’s pet, innocent, miss modesty, little star, open eye. Its Latin name is Bellis Perennis. Daisies have long been made into simple chains by children and used by young girls to play ‘he loves me- he loves me not’ pulling off the flower petals one by one.

In herbal medicine the daisy has been used for aches, pains, bruises, wounds, lumps, swellings, boils and eye baths. As it has a diuretic action, the daisy has been used to eliminate toxins, helping clear up boils, acne, eruptions and arthritic symptoms.

A signature of the daisy, noted in many texts, is that it is constantly being trodden down, but always bounces back, refusing to be defeated, indicating that it would be a good remedy for those who are tired by their labours, but who carry on in a good natured manner, just as the daisy springs back up from the lawn after a bicycle or heavy boot has crushed it down. Daisies grew in battle fields and were used internally and externally as a wound remedy for injured soldiers. Bellis-perennis is the British Arnica, and is used in homeopathy as a deep wound healer, especially wounds to the breast and abdomen.

The flower essence made from the daisy is given to clear and organise the mind and prevent mistakes being repeated by those who don't seem to be able to learn lessons from past experiences. This echoes the theme of repeated injuries which was seen in the signature and homeopathic use of the daisy.

She is femine and ruled by the Planet Venus  and has physical cooling and drying actions.

We use daisy syrup at the base of many of our potions -

the drops of courage -
These extremely supportive drops help to stay focused and upbeat through challenging times

Dandelion helps to ground and centre strengthening the emotional body, giving a clearer sense of self. It gives the ability to be strong in our convictions and through directly supporting the liver helps to dissolve confusing, often 'irrational' feelings that might arise from there.

Both Borage and Dandelion are ruled by Jupiter which has a creative, expansive energy. Borage is traditionally used for courage and supports the adrenal glands making all of life's challenges (those that happen inside as well) easier to face.

Daisy brings joy to those who take it and as a herb of the sun cleanses and lightens, they are constantly being trodden down, but always bounce back. It's diuretic action means the daisy is used to eliminate toxins helping to clear the skin and promote immunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment